For those of you unfamiliar with the bewildering array of Les Paul iterations, the Collectors Choice is a series of guitars, built in limited numbers, that reproduce noteworthy Gibsons. These can be either artists owned guitars or simply superb examples. They are built to a high standard using traditional techniques with particular attention to materials used, this particular one being a True Historic spec.
This is the 16th in the series and is modelled after Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s 1959 Les Paul, Red Eye. The guitar was so called due to the unique way the lacquer had faded, undoubtedly due to a label obscuring a section of lacquer and leaving it unfaded.
The custom shop took great care to ensure that all aspects of the guitar were copied, in particular the weight and the neck carve.
The guitar itself is in fantastic, near MINT condition having been very well cared for. The top is a stunning piece of book matched flamed maple. All the dinks and knocks are copied from the original.
The neck is in great condition with no real wear which can also be said of the fretboard and frets. The headstock has been reliced to match the original.
Hardware has been aged and is in good condition as are the plastics.
Electrically everything looks correct and undisturbed.
The guitar comes with its Gibson Custom Shop hard-shell case and all the case candy plus documentation you see in the pics,
Its a joy to play with a sublime ‘59 profile neck and the Burstbucker pickups delivering a those wonderful PAF-like tones.
One of a run of 300, these Collectors choice guitars exude quality and attention to detail.. With looks and tone to die for, what more could you want?
- Single layer Rosewood fingerboards with real celluloid inlays
- Aniline dye: Aniline dye is a vintage woodcraft coloring material and technique that results in superior wood grain presentation and depth of color
- Kluson “Deluxe” Green Keys: These “new” tuning keys are as near a replica of the original Kluson tuners as is available. They feature the proper vintage profile, color and performance specifications
- Hot Hide Glue Neck-Fit and One-piece rosewood fingerboard also Hide Glued. Many argue that the original hide-glue guitars have a different tone than those with synthetic glue
- Custom Bucker Pickups created in the image of the original PAFs. These are the most accurate recreation of the original 50’s PAF pickups to date
- Historic Truss Rod Assembly. Re-engineered truss rod, truss rod washer and anchor to their original form. Original vintage Gibsons did not have the “tubing” that surrounds the truss rod of modern Gibsons
- Accurate Vintage Color Fingerboard and Body Binding. A darker cream color to match the original 50’s Gibsons
- Back colors have been reformulated to capture the deeper, richer tones of the original 50’s Gibsons.